How to Clean Your Window AC Unit in 5 Easy Steps
Window AC units can be a great way to cool your home during the summer months, but they can also become dirty and dusty very quickly. To keep your unit running efficiently and to prevent any build-up of allergens, it’s important to clean it at least once a year.
Here are five easy steps to clean your window AC unit quickly and easily!
1. Unplug the unit from power and remove it from the window. Take off any filters, and vacuum or dust around all sides of the unit before removing it from the window to make sure you don’t miss any dirt that has settled on the outside.
2. Soak all removable parts in warm soapy water. This includes both filters, as well as any other detachable components such as grilles or louvers. Use a soft brush to scrub away dirt and dust build-up, then rinse with clear water and dry thoroughly before reattaching them to the AC unit once finished cleaning.
3. Clean the coils inside the AC unit using a coil cleaner or vinegar/water mixture (1:1 ratio). Be sure to wear gloves and safety goggles when doing this. Spray the solution directly onto the coils, then let it sit for a few minutes before wiping it off with a clean cloth or sponge.
4. Clean the fan blades with warm soapy water and a soft brush, then wipe dry with a clean cloth. Make sure all dirt and debris are removed from the blades before re-installing the AC unit.
5. Reinstall your window AC unit back into its housing, plugging it back into power. Make sure all removable parts have been securely reattached and that filters are firmly placed back in their slots as well. Once these steps have been completed, you can turn on your unit to make sure it’s working properly.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your window AC unit running efficiently and prevent any build-up of dirt, dust, and other allergens. Cleaning your AC unit at least once a year is an important task to ensure it continues to function at its best!